Have a festive Christmas photoshoot with these perfect places!
One of my favorite Christmas traditions is taking the perfect picture for our holiday cards!
It’s also an amazing way to commemorate the season and watch our family grow year to year.
Your family Christmas photo doesn’t have to be anything fancy.
It’s the sentiment that matters when it comes to capturing the love or being together at Christmastime.
However, maybe this year you want to get creative!
Or you have absolutely no idea where to start.
It’s all good because I have over 50 amazing tips to help you pull off the best Christmas photoshoot!
From indoors to outdoors, from babies to pets, check out these Christmas photoshoot ideas:
How to Choose Christmas Photoshoot Outfits
When planning your Christmas photoshoot, you have to start with the perfect outfits!
There are so many beautiful and festive outfits to choose from, so where do you start?
Are you going to wear pajamas? Buffalo plaid? More glamorous outfits?
Here are some amazing Christmas photoshoot outfits to get you started:
- Stick to something simple that is well-fitted and comfortable to wear. This will make it easier to find something that flatters the whole family!
- Think about the background you want to use in order to choose your colors. Thankfully, festive green, red, and white look awesome against any background.
- Consider accessories such as reindeer antlers and Santa hats.
- If you want to dress everyone in formal attire, make sure everyone has outfits that are the same level of fanciness.
- Add texture with wool sweaters, faux fur, or lace for a more classy Christmas photoshoot.
- Or, for a more cozy feeling, don winter hats, scarves, and big chunky sweaters.
- Think about matching outfits for the entire family. This is super easy to do with matching Christmas pajamas for a Christmas pajama photoshoot!
You really can’t go wrong when it comes to choosing Christmas photoshoot outfits! For inspiration, you can always take a look at Pinterest to get some ideas.
Studio Christmas Photoshoot
There are many ways you can do Christmas photoshoots, and many families choose to hire a photographer and have pictures done in a studio.
While most photographers will have props available and suggestions for poses, it’s helpful to bring along your own studio Christmas photoshoot ideas!
Check out these studio Christmas photoshoot tips:
- If you do have any ideas, discuss them with the photographer in advance. They may have some additional input or suggestions!
- Try arriving 10-15 minutes early so everyone can settle down and get ready for the shoot.
- Make sure your kiddos are fed and well-rested for the Christmas photoshoot. Happy children are much more cooperative!
- Bring some accessories you’d like to use, like reindeer antlers or matching scarves, with you.
Outdoor Christmas Photoshoot
Doing an outdoor Christmas photoshoot is the perfect opportunity to take advantage of the beautiful winter scenery and natural glow of the holiday season!
Not sure where to go? Here are some outdoor Christmas photoshoot ideas:
- Have a Christmas tree farm photoshoot! You can get pictures of your family choosing the perfect tree.
- Perch your family on your front step for a beautiful exterior shot featuring your home.
- Head downtown and use your favorite buildings as a backdrop. Look for areas that are decorated for the holiday season.
- Build a snowman and capture your family photo next to your creation!
- If you have little ones, grab a wooden sled for some rustic and enchanting outdoor photos.
- If you own a truck, throw some blankets and pillows in the back for a comfy family portrait.
- Live near a beach? Don your hats and scarves and head to the sand for your Christmas pictures. You write your names in the sand!
Consider booking a Christmas mini-session if you’re looking to hire a photographer.
These are short photoshoots that cost less than a full portrait session.
Talk to different photographers to see how they set up their sessions.
If you’re not sure what you’re looking for, here are some mini sessions outdoor Christmas photoshoot ideas:
- Vintage red truck
- Old red barn
- Colorful town square
- Wooded trail
- Horse-drawn sleigh
DIY Christmas Photoshoot
The beauty of modern technology is that you don’t have to hire a photographer to create amazing family Christmas portraits!
You don’t even need a fancy camera!
Grab your smartphone and follow these DIY Christmas photoshoot tips:
- If you’re taking your pictures outside, try to have your photoshoot on a cloudy day. This way, you get plenty of natural light without everyone squinting.
- Instead of getting your kiddos to smile, make them laugh! This produces a more natural-looking smile.
- Take advantage of indoor Christmas photoshoot ideas, such as using the headboard of your bed as a backdrop.
- In fact, look for spots all around your home! The fireplace in the living room, decorating cookies in the kitchen, and (of course) in front of the Christmas tree.
- When using your phone, you can set a timer or have your phone snap the picture using a voice command.
- You can also get a selfie stick to ensure that everyone gets in the shot!
- To nail the lighting indoors, adjust your phone’s white balance. This will help beautifully capture your warm Christmas lights.
Baby Christmas Photoshoot
Having a baby around Christmastime is wonderful! You can easily capture the perfect Christmas photos of your little one by doing your own baby Christmas photoshoot.
To capture the most magical baby Christmas pictures, check out these tips:
- Use natural light by setting up your baby Christmas photoshoot where there is soft light. But be sure to avoid beams and sun streaks.
- Include props such as Christmas lights and wrapped Christmas gifts.
- Put your baby’s name and age on a letterboard.
- Hang a blanket for a backdrop, or place your little one in front of a blank wall or something that is solid wood.
- Pose your baby in a position that is comfortable so you can snap the perfect shot!
- Place a pillow under a clean sheet on the floor for smaller babies and newborns to prop them on. Take the photo while lying down.
- You can also try laying your baby under the Christmas tree and taking the photo from above through the branches.
- For itty–bitty teenie-weenie babies, carefully place them in a Christmas stocking for the most adorable picture!
Pet Christmas Photoshoot
Don’t forget about your furry friends! Pets may not be the most cooperative subjects of your Christmas family photoshoot, but there are ways to include them in this holiday tradition.
By using the right props and backgrounds, you can easily capture the perfect pet Christmas photos.
Just follow these tips:
- If your pet is patient enough to wear a Santa hat, then you’re all set! Anywhere you manage to snap a shot is going to look perfect.
- Try to use an empty wall to avoid distractions, or use the Christmas tree as a simple and festive background.
- Include your pet in your Christmas family photoshoot so that you can hold onto them and get some amazing candid shots.
- Avoid startling them with the flash on your camera and the shutter on your camera. Use silent mode and turn down the flash’s intensity.
- Wrap wiggly pets up in a Christmas blanket. This will help them feel safe and secure.
- Play around with perspective, such as taking a photo from above. You may have a better chance of getting your pet’s eye contact this way.
- Entice your pets with boxes and Christmas wrapping paper! Add some lights in the background for a whimsical look.
- If all else fails, use food. You can place your pet’s favorite treat on a plate for a Santa’s milk and cookies shot!
Funny Christmas Photoshoot
Who says that your Christmas family photoshoot has to be serious business?
For families with a sense of humor, here are some tips for creating a funny Christmas photoshoot:
- Go old-school and recreate cheesy and cringe photoshoots.
- If your kids are older, have them recreate an old Christmas photo from your photo album.
- Recreate a famous Christmas movie, like A Christmas Story (don’t forget the leg lamp!) or National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
- Grab some Christmas lights and get your kids to wrap up you and your partner!
- Take advantage of Photoshop! You can photoshop your little one on top of the tree or “tape” your kiddos to the wall.
- Face swap! Switch your and your partner’s faces with your kids.
- Have everyone dress in green and pose yourselves as a Christmas tree – complete with star, lights, and ornaments!
Christmas Photoshoot Ideas You’ll Love!
Whether you are looking to do something more traditional or something a little zany, all you need are these Christmas photoshoot tips to get you started!
Just remember to have fun!
Over to you – What’s your favorite Christmas family photo?
Or your most embarrassing?
Describe it to me in the comments! I’d love to hear about them
Leave a Reply