Learn what the best iron supplement for pregnancy is!
Becoming a mother is an exciting journey, but it also comes with its fair share of challenges and considerations.
One of the best things you need to do during your pregnancy is stay healthy as best you can, not just for yourself but also for your baby.
Iron deficiency anemia is a common concern for expecting mothers, and finding the best iron supplement for pregnancy becomes super important.
If your doctor has told you that your iron is low or that you have anemia, they will likely recommend you take an iron supplement during your pregnancy.
But what is the best iron supplement for pregnancy?
When I was pregnant with twins anything I ate gave me horrible morning sickness.
I needed an iron supplement that didn’t cause nausea and that I could eat or swallow easily.
To help you out, here is a list of iron supplement options as well as some additional info to help you make the best choice during your pregnancy journey!
Understanding Iron Deficiency Anemia During Pregnancy
Iron deficiency anemia is a common concern for pregnant women due to increased iron demand.
Symptoms like fatigue and pale skin may seem typical in pregnancy, but an accurate diagnosis matters greatly.
This is why you should always see your doctor if you suspect your iron is low to make sure that’s the issue – otherwise, if you try to supplement with iron and end up with too much iron in your system, you could get sick.
Seeing your doctor is important because they can help you with:
- Accurate Identification: Proper tests by a healthcare provider confirm anemia and rule out other causes.
- Tailored Care: Healthcare providers consider your medical history and preferences to recommend personalized solutions.
- Effective Treatment: If diagnosed, suitable steps like dietary changes or supplements can be advised.
- Ongoing Monitoring: Regular check-ups help track changes and prevent complications.
Always prioritize both your health and your baby’s by seeking expert guidance!
I know that researching can be helpful, but professional diagnosis is essential for tailored care.
Make sure to work with your healthcare provider to choose the best iron supplement.
This partnership sets the stage for a healthier motherhood journey!
Which Type of Iron Supplement is Best for Pregnancy?
When it comes to selecting the best iron supplement for your pregnancy, a variety of options are available, each tailored to cater to different preferences and needs.
Before we get into specific types of iron supplements, let’s talk about the different forms, administration methods, and dosage types:
Forms of Iron Supplements: Pills, Liquid, and Gummies
Iron supplements come in various forms to accommodate different preferences and sensitivities.
Here are the most popular forms:
- Pills or Tablets: Traditional iron supplements in pill or tablet form are widely available and often recommended. They offer convenience and ease of use, allowing you to integrate them into your daily routine. It’s important to note that some individuals may experience digestive discomfort or constipation with this form.
- Liquid Iron Supplements: Liquid iron supplements are praised for their higher absorption rates compared to traditional pills. They are often well-tolerated by pregnant women and tend to cause fewer gastrointestinal side effects. The liquid form is particularly beneficial for individuals who struggle with swallowing pills or have sensitivities.
- Iron Gummies: Iron gummies provide a more palatable option for those who have difficulty swallowing pills or dislike the taste of liquid supplements. These gummies often come in a range of flavors and may include additional vitamins and minerals to support overall health. However, it’s important to be cautious of the added sugars in gummies.
OTC (Over-the-Counter) Vs. Prescription Iron Supplements
Iron supplements can generally be categorized as either over-the-counter (OTC) or prescription-based.
The choice between these options depends on the severity of your iron deficiency and your healthcare provider’s recommendations:
- OTC Iron Supplements: Many iron supplements are available without a prescription at pharmacies and online retailers. OTC options are suitable for individuals with mild iron deficiency or those looking to maintain healthy iron levels. They are generally well-tolerated and come in various forms, as discussed earlier.
- Prescription Iron Supplements: In cases of severe iron deficiency anemia or when OTC supplements are insufficient, healthcare providers may prescribe stronger iron supplements. These prescription options typically have higher iron concentrations and are closely monitored to prevent iron overload, which can be harmful.
Different Dosage Types: Gentle, Slow-Release & High Dose
Iron supplements also come with various dosage options to address specific needs and sensitivities:
- Gentle Iron Supplements: These formulations are designed to minimize gastrointestinal side effects such as constipation, which can be a concern during pregnancy. They often contain lower doses of iron to reduce the likelihood of digestive discomfort.
- Slow-Release Iron Supplements: Slow-release or extended-release formulations deliver iron gradually over time, allowing for better absorption and reduced chances of gastrointestinal irritation. These are particularly useful for individuals who experience stomach upset with immediate-release supplements.
- High-Dose Iron Supplements: In cases of severe anemia, high-dose iron supplements may be prescribed by healthcare providers. These supplements provide a concentrated amount of iron to quickly increase iron levels. However, they should only be used under medical supervision due to the risk of side effects.
What is the Best Iron Supplement for Pregnancy?
Just as every pregnancy journey is unique, so too is the selection of the best iron supplement.
The quest to find the perfect iron supplement during pregnancy is not a one-size-fits-all endeavor—it depends on various factors, including your preferences, needs, and health considerations.
Here are a range of popular and effective options to explore, keeping in mind that the best choice is as distinct as the person taking it:
Best OTC Iron Supplement for Pregnancy: Thorne’s Iron Bisglycinate
Thorne’s Iron Bisglycinate is a premium prenatal iron supplement.
Endorsed by ConsumerLab.com and rigorously tested, it’s gentle on expectant mothers’ stomachs.
Its unique formulation minimizes the likelihood of worsening nausea or constipation during pregnancy, setting it apart from other options.
With 25 mg of iron per serving, Thorne’s Iron Bisglycinate supports iron needs during pregnancy. It holds respected certifications, ensuring purity and safety.
Best Iron Supplement for Nausea: New Chapter Iron Complex Tablets
Iron supplements can be tough on the stomach, especially during pregnancy – and the last thing you want is morning sickness!
For those seeking a well-tolerated option, check out New Chapter’s Fermented Iron Complex.
Certified gluten-free and 100% vegetarian, it’s formulated with your comfort in mind.
With a lower dose of 9 mg iron as ferrous sulfate, it minimizes the risk of digestive upset.
What makes this complex special is its digestive support blend, including aloe, peppermint, cardamom, coriander, artichoke, ginger, and turmeric.
Even though this iron supplement for pregnancy is loaded with vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, vitamin B12, and zinc, similar to prenatal vitamins, it’s wise to consult a healthcare professional if taking both.
Best Liquid Iron Supplement for Pregnancy: Floradix
This is the Iron supplement I took and my twins took when they were toddlers.
They loved the flavor and I didn’t mind it (I took it with orange juice).
If swallowing tablets proves challenging, consider trying a liquid alternative like Floradix Iron supplement.
This berry/apple-flavored formula features a special iron form known as ferrous gluconate .
This variant is exceptionally gentle on the stomach and is swiftly absorbed by the body.
What’s more, it’s devoid of common allergens, making it safe for pregnant and nursing mothers.
And the best part? A mere tablespoon provides a substantial 27 mg of iron, ensuring your daily mineral requirements are easily met!
Best Iron Supplement for Pregnancy Anemia: FeraMAX Therapeutic 150 High Dose
Iron deficiency anemia is a common concern for pregnant individuals, and choosing the right iron supplement can significantly impact the management of this condition.
Among the available options, FeraMAX Pd Therapeutic 150 stands out as a valuable choice due to its enhanced delivery system and efficacy.
This innovative delivery system, which utilizes Polydextrose Iron Complex (PDIC), allows for improved tolerance when the supplement enters the stomach.
This means that FeraMAX Pd Therapeutic 150 offers a more comfortable experience for those who often find it challenging to tolerate iron supplements.
FeraMAX Pd Therapeutic 150 is also vegan-certified and recognized by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada.
Best Natural Iron Supplement for Pregnancy: Mary Ruth’s Iron Gummies with Vitamin C
For those following a plant-based diet, I recommend an option tailored to your needs.
Mary Ruth’s Iron Gummies is also offers a convenient solution with a range of benefits.
Each gummy of this iron supplement contains 25 mg of easily digestible iron, making it suitable for the requirements of pregnancy.
What sets it apart, though, is the inclusion of vitamin C, which helps the body absorb iron.
It also features a unique blend of iron-rich foods such as organic beet, spinach, kale, Swiss chard, and pumpkin seeds.
Plus, it’s super gentle on the stomach, which is good news for moms-to-be who are seeking gastrointestinal comfort!
Best Budget Iron Supplement for Pregnancy: Nature’s Bounty Gentle Iron Supplement
Nature’s Bounty Gentle Iron Supplement is a beneficial choice for expecting mothers seeking to maintain optimal health throughout their pregnancy journey.
This supplement offers a gentle-on-the-stomach formula, making it well-suited for the sensitive digestive systems often experienced during pregnancy.
Its unique composition aids in preventing iron deficiency anemia, a common concern for pregnant women, by assisting in the formation and proper function of red blood cells.
This iron supplement also supports immune function, further enhancing its appeal as an essential addition to a prenatal wellness routine.
All at a great and affordable price!
Best Gummy Iron Supplement for Pregnancy: Pink Stork Pregnancy Iron Gummies
For expecting mothers who maintain an iron-rich diet and do not experience anemia, certain iron supplements can be a useful addition to their existing mineral intake.
These Pink Stork gummies can act as a supplementary source to support their mineral stores during pregnancy. They are gluten-free and dairy-free, catering to specific dietary preferences.
Just keep in mind that while these gummies provide a convenient source of iron, they only account for 74% of the recommended daily allowance (RDA) of iron.
This means that for those with higher iron needs or existing deficiencies, alternative supplement options might be more suitable.
Consulting Your Healthcare Provider
Before using any new supplement during your pregnancy, it’s so important to consult your healthcare provider.
I know I mentioned it before, but they can evaluate your individual needs, perform necessary tests to determine your iron levels, and provide personalized recommendations based on your medical history.
Every pregnancy is unique, and so are the needs of your body. Your healthcare provider possesses the expertise to evaluate your individual requirements, taking into account factors such as your overall health, medical history, and existing iron levels.
And while the signs of iron deficiency anemia are recognizable and easy to Google, you need to confirm these suspicions through professional testing.
Too much iron in your system can lead to a condition called iron overload, which can have serious consequences for both you and your baby.
Iron overload can potentially lead to gestational diabetes, gestational hypertension, and an increased risk of infections.
It can also interfere with the absorption of other essential nutrients, causing an imbalance that can affect your overall health and the optimal development of your baby.
Navigating the delicate balance of iron supplementation during pregnancy requires a collaborative effort between you and your healthcare provider.
By working together, you can ensure that you receive the right amount of iron to address any deficiencies without overburdening your system!
Nurturing a Healthy Pregnancy with the Right Iron Supplement
Maintaining proper iron levels during pregnancy is vital for your well-being and the health of your growing baby.
With the multitude of iron supplement options available, from OTC pills to liquid formulations and natural sources, finding the best iron supplement for pregnancy anemia becomes an informed choice.
Prioritize your health, consult your healthcare provider, and embark on your pregnancy journey with the confidence that you’re taking the right steps to ensure a healthy and thriving experience for both you and your little one.
Now it’s your turn – Have you had experiences with iron supplements during pregnancy?
Let me know in the comments!